The end of the year Marketing budgets for 2017 are now (hopefully) set. Tons of planning is happening. The type of planning that has a sense of urgency to do the right things to finish out the remaining weeks of this year. Not to mention pretty heavy planning on how to do things differently and better for the next year.
What’s that definition of insanity? “Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.”
- Did you miss your revenue goals?
- Did you miss the SQL numbers that you were so aggressively pushing?
- How much did you miss that piece of technology that was going to make you and your team’s life better? I don’t know about you, but I just keep pushing it deeper and deeper into the year and then just said I could deal without.
- Did you miss out on how to optimize your existing customer experiences to bring in new logos? Always a challenge and can be tough to do.
- What is the missing piece of content that you didn’t generate for the sales team?
- After reviewing the goals you had at the beginning of the year, what was the biggest MISS? (Check out our Measuring and Reporting Ebook).
Even if you only missed on a couple of these initiatives, the question is: What are you going to do different to get a better result for next year? Don’t walk into your boss’ office and present the same Go-To-Market plan with just updated numbers. That would be a HUGE miss! Instead of getting to this time next year and talking about what you could have done different, NOW is the time to think about what you have to do to kick your butt into high gear and NOT MISS OUT in 2017.
- Become more efficient – What can you do now to make you and your team more efficient at serving up the right content and tools at the right time?
- Be more proactive – Chances are, your sales teams will be asking for the same things they did this year. Do a brainstorm on what are the top 10 questions that your sales teams asked and put a solution that will solve each one immediately. You know they want sales tools and content that are directly tied to new revenue…what are you going to do about it?
- Think about Status Quo – What is it that you have been “getting away with” by just doing a manual process or just in a reactionary manner? Put recommendations and budget requests in now to make your job easier, more effective and frankly more efficient.
Reflect on last year (2016), make sure you know what you missed out on, and then don’t wait for the calendar to turn. As a marketing leader, I know we have to lead the charge out of the gate in 2017 the right away, right now! Make the purchase, fight for the new hire, start creating the right content. Right now. New Year resolutions are great…even better if you have already kicked your butt into high gear before Jan 1, 2017.